Roberto Argüello is senior associate at Arias & Muñoz, having joined the firm in 2002. He concentrates his practice mainly in labor and employment law. He also works on corporate and commercial Law.
As head of the Labor and Employment Law Practice of Arias & Muñoz Nicaragua, Mr. Argüello's experience in labor and employment law includes the following:
- Employee rights and benefits.
- Drafting and review of employment contracts.
- Drafting, review of internal company guidelines and the approval process before the Ministry of Labor.
- Termination of contracts and calculation of employee compensation and benefits.
- Approval for the unilateral termination of contracts before the Ministry of Labor.
- Review and approval of the Hygiene and Safety guidelines.
- Negotiation of termination compensation and drafting of documents of release.
- Internal compliance audits in labor matters.
- Structuring of extraordinary compensation programs.
- Advice on payroll taxes and Social Security.
Arias & Muñoz's Labor and Employment Law Practice, headed by Mr. Argüello, also advises and represents clients in all types of employment litigation, mediation, and dispute resolution. Some examples of transactions that are representative of the work undertaken by the Labor and Employment Law Practice of Arias & Muñoz Nicaragua are:
- Due diligence review of employment relationships for purchasers of and lenders to major business interests throughout all Central America in diverse industry;
- Labor and employment relations counselors to a major supermarket chain in Nicaragua;
- Labor and employment relations counselors to a major international hydrocarbons company;
- Drafting of employment contracts, internal labor regulations, and rendering of general legal advise for important companies in fast food, plastic manufacturer, apparel company, medical distribution, accounting, as well as for companies in the real estate sector; and
- Calculation of severance to be paid by a leading free trade zone companies.
Mr. Argüello obtained his Juris Doctor from Universidad Americana UAM, in Managua, Nicaragua (2001) and he is authorized as a practicing Attorney by the Supreme Court of Justice of Nicaragua. He has represented Nicaragua in the International Law Competition, Philip C. Jessup (2003) in Washington D.C. and has also participated as coach for the Nicaraguan delegation (2005); He speaks both Spanish and English.
Arias & Muñoz Central America is unique in the region: The first and only Central America law firm that is a single unit, with eight fully integrated offices spanning six countries of Central America (Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama).
It represents a wide range of companies, from large multinational corporations to small individual enterprises (among whom are Global 500 and Fortune 500 companies.) By coordinating closely with each client and identifying their particular needs, it provides them excellent service, expert advise and sound solutions.
The firm's goal is to provide the client with fast responses and practical solutions, served by expert professionals from within each area. Advantageously some of them are also licensed to practice in Europe and in the United States. Arias & Muñoz, therefore, distinguishes itself in the legal services' market by possessing an excellent combination of experience, knowledge and multi-jurisdictional capability.
In 2006 and 2009, Arias & Muñoz was elected "Central American Law Firm of the Year" by Chambers & Partners U.K., publishers of The World's Leading Lawyers for Business Directory, being the only law firm ever in Central America to win a Chambers Global Award.
Firm Practice Areas
AVIATION AND TRANSPORTATION
Aircraft leases, Aircraft acquisitions and registrations, Aircraft financing transactions, Transportation agreements, Corporate, commercial and regulatory matters.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Structuring and closing debt financing and loan security packages, Debt restructuring, Equity investment, Issuance of negotiable instruments, Project finance, Asset securitization, Structuring and implementation of investment funds and trusts, Chartering of and ongoing legal advice to banks, financial institutions, and insurance companies, Advice on financial and insurance regulatory matters.
CAPITAL MARKETS AND SECURITIES
Capital market transactions, Sovereign securities' issuances, including their legal structuring, Initial public offerings, Secondary offerings, Private placements, Public tender offers, Registration of securities, issuers and issuances, Regulation of brokerage and other related services, Securitizations.
CORPORATE AND COMMERCIAL
Structuring and restructuring of businesses, including Drafting and filing of charter documents and bylaws for legal entities, Shareholders' agreements, Minority rights, Creditors' rights, Corporate governance, Labor and employment issues, Management agreements, Employment relationships, Fiscal and tax planning, Antitrust regulations, fair trade practices and consumer protection laws.
Environmental due diligence, Filing for licenses and permits, Supervision and review of environmental impact studies, Forest laws, Zoning and development restrictions, Land and maritime zone regulations.